Ten Most Harmful Books
The following list was compiled by a conservative, US-based think tank who actually took the trouble to ask “a panel of 15 conservative scholars and public policy leaders” to vote on a list of the most harmful books of the last two centuries (I do like lists in all shapes and sizes and a list such as this one has the added virtue to double as nice reading list). On the website there are also a few sentences per book why it is considered to be so enormously harmful by this bunch of Kleingeister. There is also a list of the runners-up, among them, of course, good old Charles Darwin.
- The Communist Manifesto (Karl Marx and Freidrich [sic] Engels)
- Mein Kampf (Adolf Hitler)
- Quotations from Chairman Mao (Mao Zedong)
- The Kinsey Report (Alfred Kinsey)
- Democracy and Education (John Dewey)
- Das Kapital (Karl Marx)
- The Feminine Mystique (Betty Friedan)
- The Course of Positive Philosophy (Auguste Comte)
- Beyond Good and Evil (Freidrich [sic] Nietzsche)
- General Theory of Employment, Interest and Money (John Maynard Keynes)
Crikey! Karl Marx at number one and number six: the poor guy must indeed have been the devil in disguise:-).
(Perhaps, as a first tentative step towards enlightenment, the professors and eminent men (okay, so one alibi woman was among the panel of 15) who produced this famous list might take note of the fact that the first name of both Engels and Nietzsche was Friedrich — and not “Freidrich”.)
$updated from: Ten Most Harmful Books.htxt Sat 18 Jan 2014 13:14:22 thomasl (By Thomas Lauer)$